Candles based on the Australian Capital City of Canberra.
Avalible in 2 sizes
125ml - 25hr burn time
250ml - 50hr burn time
Parkes - Roses
Parkes was named after Sir Henry Parkes (1815-1896) who was a Legislator, Federalist and one of the Founders of the Constitution of Australia. Sir Henry became Premier of New South Wales in 1872, who advocated union of the Australian colonies from 1867 and sadly died in 1896 before the first Federal Parliament.
Between 1931 to 1938, the Secretary of the Joint House Department, Robert Broinowski, set about establishing gardens to the east and west of Old Parliament House starting with hedges to surround the gardens to mitigate the winds.
Tennis courts, a cricket pitch and bowling green were established with four large rose gardens. During late October to early November, the fragrance of Roses would fill the small suburb of Parkes.
Red Hill - Oranges
The name Red Hill was believed to be given to this suburb due to the red soil in the area. Once this was discovered, the area was originally ear marked to be the area for farming and orchard leased lands. It is believed that Oranges and other types of citrus may have been grown here before the 1920s.
Residential land in the suburb was offered for sale in the first Canberra land auction conducted on 12 December 1924. By 1929, 22 houses had been built, and by 1955, the suburb had boomed to 64 houses.
Major streets of Red Hill were in the initial plans of early development of Canberra prepared by Walter Burley Griffin in 1918. Its streetscape and landscape character reflect 1920s garden city planning.
Jervis Bay - Driftwood, Salty Ocean Breezes
Jervis Bay has a long history with Indigenous Australians. Booderee, the name of the national park that covers the majority of the Jervis Bay Territory, means ‘bay of plenty’ in the local Aboriginal language. The Yuin people have a strong and continuing connection to the Jervis Bay area, with a large part of the Yuin country covering coastal areas with the fragrances of Driftwood and Salty Ocean Breezes.
Canberra Candle Co. acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which we meet, play and work on. We pay our respects to Elders past and present.
Arboretum - Himalayan Cedar
Originally designed in 1918 by Walter Burley Griffin, the Arboretum was a part of Canberra’s original city design, and a location for over 40,000 trees from over 100 countries.
Unfortunately, due to the outbreak of war, the grand city's plans had to be pulled back due to the funding needed for the war effort. In 2013 the Arboretum was officially opened after almost 9 years of work after devastating fires in 2001 and 2003, leaving only two 100-year-old plantations intact, one of them being the Himalayan Cedar forest which was planted between 1917 and 1930, the other being the Cork Oak forest, planted in 1917-1920.